The Databrary project is looking for a smart and motivated Desktop Application developer to join its technical team. The developer will act as the primary owner of our unique, research-enabling, open source cross-platform desktop video annotation and analysis application (Datavyu.org). Working closely with the managing director, the PIs and research scientists, the developer will design, develop, and modify the application to enable behavioral researchers to code, transcribe, and annotate audio and video-based research datasets. (S)he will maintain the existing code base and build new features, enhancements, and integrations in modern programming languages.
Databrary (databrary.org) is the leading open source video-data-sharing system for developmental science. Datavyu (datavyu.org) is a free, open source, multi-platform video-coding tool. This position provides a unique opportunity to play a central role in advancing open science through data sharing and reuse.
The ideal candidate has great software design sense, is a self-starter who is not afraid of learning new technologies, thinks out of the box, takes initiative, has excellent attention to detail, and can work to take tasks to fruition both collaboratively in a team and independently. The developer will adapt to the evolving and growing needs of the project.
- Support, fix, and enhance existing Java desktop analysis tool based on user issues and requirements.
- Build data visualization, import, and export tools
- Design, test, and validate Java video playback performance across platforms
- Integrate application with Data collection tools, Data library web services, Github, R Studio, and SPSS.
- Solicit feedback from UX experts and researchers (users) to identify and prioritize new features
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Extensive experience developing cross-platform desktop applications using JavaFX/Swing/AWT/SWT or Qt.
- Knowledge of video technologies, formats, and decoding engines (VLC, ffmpeg, avconv, Quicktime, and gstreamer)
- Familiarity with git and standard UNIX development tools
- Understanding of Ruby, Python, CSV, XML, and basic data processing
- Familiarity using project management and task management systems.
- Passion for open source projects and building high quality software.
- Established track record of shipping reliable software products
- History of contributions to open source projects
- Comfort with discussing and addressing UX/UI design issues
- Sensitive to performance considerations building video interfaces
- Familiarity with scientific practices and research tools, such as Matlab, SPSS, or R
BS, MS or PhD in a CS or related field, or an equivalent combination of formal education and directly related experience.
Send the following to email@example.com:
- One page cover letter (PDF)
- Resume (PDF)
- Links to your open source contributions or other samples of your work
New York University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. New York University is committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its hiring and promotion process without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth (or related medical condition), sexual orientation, partnership status, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence victim status, unemployment status, or any other legally protected basis. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.