The Databrary project is looking for a smart and motivated front end developer to join its technical team. The developer will combine the art of design with the art of programming and act as the primary owner of user interaction and experience for our service. Working closely with the managing director, the PIs, the backend programmer and the service team, the developer will design, develop and modify tools, including web applications and interfaces as well as mobile apps to enable behavioral researchers to collaborate, store, discover, explore and access video-based research datasets. (S)he will maintain the existing code base and build new features, enhancements and integrations in modern web frameworks.
Databrary (databrary.org) is the leading open source video data-sharing system for developmental science. Datavyu (datavyu.org) is a free, open source, multi-platform video coding tool. This position provides a unique opportunity to play a central role in advancing open science through data sharing and reuse.
The ideal candidate has a great design sense, is a self starter who is not afraid of learning new technologies, thinks out of the box, takes initiative, has excellent attention to detail and can work to take tasks to fruition both collaboratively in a team and independently. The developer will adapt to the evolving and growing needs of the project.
Research and evaluation
The developer will analyze and understand current application architecture and front end code base (written in AngularJS, CoffeeScript), document it thoroughly and make recommendations to the managing director on a future strategic direction.
Design and development
The developer will maintain the existing website and application front end code base as well as troubleshoot bugs to improve application usability. (S)he will take lead of the redesign and upgrade effort of current front end, define user experiences, build mockups, and rapidly prototype, test and QA end-to-end solutions. (S)he will develop and release dynamic, modular and responsive experiences by implementing clean, reusable, well-designed and well-tested code to add new enhancements, features and integrations to the current platform.
Feedback and innovation
The applicant will work closely with UI experts and researchers (end users) in the field to understand usability issues. (S)he will be responsive to their feedback and become a force of innovation in designing new features to facilitate activities undertaken in relation to the collection, processing, description, transformation, retention and reuse of research data. (S)he will design, develop, implement, test and validate existing and new data management and web-based tools to facilitate research.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Hands-on experience with modern web frameworks and video technologies.
- Understanding of best practices in SDLC (software development life cycle).
- Skillful in HTML, CSS and UI and UX design principles.
- Good understanding of security and cross-browser design issues.
- Understanding of TDD (Test-driven development) and design patterns.
- Experience with version control, unix scripting, automation and DevOps practices.
- Familiarity using CRM, project management or task management systems.
- Passion for open source projects and building high quality experiences.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Superior listening and analytical skills and a knack for tackling tough problems.
- Ability to multitask and juggle multiple priorities and projects.
- Adaptability and openness to learn and change.
- Track record of developing responsive websites in modern client side web frameworks.
- Exceptional understanding of design principles, web technologies, REST API and MVC design patterns.
- Basic knowledge of scientific practices and research tools.
- BS, or MS in a related field, or an equivalent combination of formal education and directly related experience.
To apply, send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- One page cover letter (PDF)
- Resume (PDF)
We will review applications beginning immediately and consider candidates until the position is filled.
New York University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. New York University is committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its hiring and promotion process without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth (or related medical condition), sexual orientation, partnership status, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence victim status, unemployment status, or any other legally protected basis. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.