Databrary strives to uphold the highest research ethics while maximizing open and secure access to research data. We achieve this through multiple means:
- Requiring that researchers fulfill all institutional requirements, including ethics board or IRB review if needed, in order to use Databrary materials.
- Providing researchers with template language that may be used to apply for and secure ethics board approval.
- Requiring researchers to ask research participants for their permission to share data and providing template language to guide the process. We also provide a template for securing sharing permission from research staff that are recorded.
- Providing a sample participant data sharing release script and example videos of the data sharing release process.
- Developing consistent terminology and visual icons for documenting sharing release levels.
- Providing guidance about when and how data collected previously might be stored and shared on Databrary.